Welcome to the Dorman High School Media Center Blog. The information provided on this blog is intended for Dorman High School students. We hope the information is helpful and relevant. Please feel free to contact us if you have questions.

Thursday, April 3, 2014

Collaborative project fruits of labor - GREAT PIC and GREAT STUDENT





Well, maybe more of a collaborative idea hatched and carried through! I wish I had a photo to share of our student Cesar, but he is apparently absent today.  He came by Tuesday afternoon to tell me he had made something for the library over in his RDA Carpentry class, but it would need to be delivered or picked up.  To say I was ecstatic is an understatement!  You see during the week of registration when RD Anderson reps (teachers/advisors) came to Dorman’s lunch block to sign off on students taking RDA courses, we had ELDA Testing in the library. The testing caused us to be closed during lunch a day while they were here. Since we were closed we took some time to go over to the lunchroom to get returned books, renew books, and take special book orders for our library regulars or anyone else wanting library books and materials.

I struck up a conversation with Elizabeth Abel, the Academic Assistance Teacher working RDA registration during one of those days, telling her how we had some library regulars getting cards signed for RDA classes.  I then told her how much an after school group (that includes Cesar) all ride a late bus, and join us to play checkers, chess, or scrabble. I told her about an idea I had for maybe a carpentry class to build us a small table top checker board, and that we would be happy to help out with materials and resources.  I also said I thought that maybe Dorman students would be happy to build it for us, and we would put it to immediate use.

Unbeknownst to me until Tuesday after school, the project was taken on by Cesar Chavez, and 11th grader here at Dorman, through his Carpentry class taught by RDA Instructor Tom Webb. The final product demonstrates high quality craftsmanship and I’m sure was a true labor of love. You see, Cesar is one of the guys who comes in most afternoons to play board games. I can’t wait to take a picture of the board in use to share!

No comments: