Welcome to the Dorman High School Media Center Blog. The information provided on this blog is intended for Dorman High School students. We hope the information is helpful and relevant. Please feel free to contact us if you have questions.

Monday, March 24, 2014

Library March Madness Week Four - the Championship Round

It's championship week in the library.  Our kids are really buzzing over the finale of our 2014 Library Book March Madness Tournament.  There was a close election (between Hunger Games Trilogy and The Fault in our Stars) for one of our finalists, and I SO wanted The fault in Our Stars to win. Alas, it was not to be. Our finalists for the 2014 DHS Library March Madness are two trilogies as follows:

  dhsBALLOT   

This year's Library March Madness Book Tournament was tweaked so that we wouldn't once again  have two books from the same series in our finals like last year.  (Last year we had Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games up against Catching Fire, with Hunger games winning.)  To alleviate that problem we decided to group series together as an entry if two or more were in our top sixteen. We actually wound up with five series in this year's tournament.    

  So why am I still not happy? 

I am not happy this year with the finalists due to MOVIES!  Yes, I said it. Movies. The tend to ruin the book as a whole in general. I always have students share their disappointment with movies and what they changed, focused on , left out, etc.  It bugs me too, though I have to confess, I still want to see the movie.  So yes, I will probably tweak the guidelines for a book making it into our tournament again next year. My plan is to LEAVE OUT books that have already made it to a theater production, or are slated for a production release  before school is out next spring.  I am tired of feeling like that movie release is impacting the voting results. Bahh! One of our students suggested we sponsor a Books 2 Movie Tournament to go with our February library contest theme. Hmmmm, that student my be on to something. Maybe we'll even add a genre theme too....   

No comments: