Welcome to the Dorman High School Media Center Blog. The information provided on this blog is intended for Dorman High School students. We hope the information is helpful and relevant. Please feel free to contact us if you have questions.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

I know why the vampire sparkles!

Please go read this post on another blog that was shared with me  today, as I really think DHS students could appreciate it as well!! It came from a blog title "Science in My Fiction" and is very tongue in cheek, though the observations and conclusions make prefect sense to me!!


Of the contributors , Kay Holt is the actual author, and I'm hoping she is okay with my sharing the post here on our own school library/reading blog!  If you feel adventurous, pop on over to the original post and leave a comment! Visit anyway to read the comments already there, as some of the many comments left add to the post. Below is an excerpt! Be sure to visit and read the whole thing!! 

 

I know why the vampire sparkles!

I finally read Twilight, and after hours of internet research, I’ve found a solution to a major problem I had with the story. I know why the vampire sparkles!

Of course, innate body glitter is just the latest thing wrong with vampires at large, so I’ll start with the broader picture and work my way to the answer to that new riddle.

First, I assert that vampires must be giant, highly evolved insects. That makes sense because most of the hematophages in the natural world are bugs.
The rest can be read at the original blog post here!

4 comments:

KTHolt said...

Hello,

Reposting an entire blog post or article without first receiving written permission is inappropriate. It's one thing to include an excerpt from the original in your own post, but something else entirely to copy-and-paste someone else's writing to your blog.

As the author, I'm glad you enjoyed my post, and I appreciate your desire to share it with others. But you didn't ask my permission first.

Please remove the copied post and replace it with an excerpt and a link to the original.

Thank you, and best of luck,
--Kay Holt

Cathy Nelson said...

Didnt mean to infringe--just wanted to be sure our kids saw it--I have complied with your request. (I knew you'd get a ping, and just hoped in the name of pushing literature it would be okay. Apologies.) NICE POST and I am delighted to now be a subscriber.

And Now I have an example of "what not to do" in the blogosphere. Authentic example. Sigh.

KTHolt said...

I'm flattered you thought it worth sharing, and like most blogers, I enjoy being quoted and credited. (Thank you for that!) Reprints are also wonderful, but always be safe and request the reprint rights before posting.

My next SiMF post will be on the intersection of tattoos and science. Might your students be interested in that, too? If you'd like, you can reprint that post to the DHSLMC blog. :)

Cathy Nelson said...

SO COOL!! THANKS!!