January Book Swap:
I hope to get approved a book swap activity. We might add in some paperbacks that we can order new (Scholastic Bargain Book Boxes come to mind.) But here is the gist of it:
- Have announced and post fliers around the building asking students to bring gently used books to donate to the book swap -- looking at the 3rd Friday in January.
- Maintain accurate records on the number of books donated per student.
- On the big day, bring students into the media center during lunch and/or English classes and then invite them into the bookswap area to select different books based on the dumber of donations made.
- Encourage students to share their numbers with friends. (Perhaps issue tickets that match the number of books they can select, and allow the to share their tickets with friends.)
- Consider allowing bag lunches in the library for the day so that the book swap doesn't compete with our students desire to eat.
- If we can get some Bargain priced book sets for a decent price, consider expanding this t include all English classes, or haps all of one grade's classes.
January Gamer Day:
- Have a gamer day in the library (during lunch) and use bag lunches again.
- Advertise and have kids sign up
- Get students to volunteer equipment to use (waiver forms needed?)
- Have sign-ups for time limits in games
- Brainstorm variety of games, including board games, card games, video games, etc.
- Figure out arrangement. Secure library workers to "work" each game area.
- Be prepared for a very "carnival-like" atmosphere.
- Figure out date to have our SCYABA Book election. Once a week until then, have specific nominee book discussions to help promote them (5 books a week throughout January?)
- Run reports of circulations of nominees
- Advertise the election all during January to remind students of criteria for election
- Have a Lunch Meeting and invite all who qualify to have lunch and vote in the library
- Celebrate our results with announcements and fliers.
Well anyway that's what is running through my mind at this moment. I am not sure everything will fly--we still have to see approval from administration. But we'll see.